Prof. Gilliard is a native of Hartsville, South Carolina. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in chemistry at Clemson University where he was an undergraduate researcher in the laboratory of Prof. Rhett C. Smith. He earned his doctorate in chemistry at The University of Georgia working in the laboratory of Prof. Gregory H. Robinson.
Gilliard was a Merck Postdoctoral Fellow and a Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow where completed joint postdoctoral studies at both the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zürich) and Case Western Reserve University. As a part of this collaboration, he worked with Profs. Hansjörg Grützmacher and John Protasiewicz to synthesize highly reactive phosphorus species as new chemical synthons. Gilliard joined the faculty at the University of Virginia as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry in August 2017. In the Fall of 2021 he was a Dr. Martin Luther King Visiting Professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology working with the Cummins Laboratory in the Department of Chemistry.
Awards & Honors
2022 Research Excellence Award, University of Virginia
2021 Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering, David and Lucile Packard Foundation
2021- International Advisory Board, Angewandte Chemie
2021 Guest Editor, Chemical Communications "Boron in the 21st Century"
2021 Beckman Young Investigator Award, Arnold & Mabel Beckman Foundation
2021 Dr. Martin Luther King Visiting Professorship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2021 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award
2021 Organometallics Distinguished Author Award
2021 Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow in Chemistry
2021 National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award
2021 Negative Emissions Science Scialog Collaborative Innovation Award
2021 Thieme Chemistry Journals Award
2021- Editorial Advisory Board, Chem Catalysis
2021- Editorial Advisory Board, Inorganic Chemistry
2020 Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN) Talented 12, American Chemical Society
2020 Scialog Fellow, Research Corporation for Scientific Advancement
2020 Journal of Materials Chemistry C Rising Star
2020 Guest Editor, Organometallics "Organometallic Chemistry of the Main-Group Elements"
2020 Chemistry-A European Journal Young Investigator
2019- Advisory Board, Chemical Communications
2019 Chemical & Engineering News Editors Choice Must-See Speaker (ACS Meeting)
2019 Inorganic Chemistry Emerging Investigator
2016 CAS/SciFinder Future Leader in Chemistry Award
2016 Forbes Magazine’s “30 under 30” in Science
2015 Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship (National Academies)
2014 UNCF / MERCK Postdoctoral Science Research Fellowship
2014 Carl Storm Fellowship (Gordon Research Conference)
2014 American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry Travel Award
2013 Martin Reynolds Smith Prize (Best Research Publication) – U. of Georgia
2013 Member of the United States Delegation to the Nobel Laureate Meeting (ORAU)
2013 Graduate Research Spotlight Honoree, Georgia Local ACS Section
2013 Chemistry Department Excellence in Teaching Award – U. of Georgia
2012 The University of Georgia Teaching Portfolio Program Scholar
2010, 2012 Graduate School Outstanding Teaching Award – U. of Georgia
*See CV for complete list
Recent Invited Lectures
56. University of Minnesota – Departmental Seminar, March 2022.
55. University of Washington – Inorganic Seminar, March 2022.
54. University of Washington – Career Development Seminar, February 2022.
53. University of California, Berkeley – Inorganic Seminar, February 2022.
52. University of Eastern Africa, Barton – Seminar and Career Lecture – February 2022.
51. Penn State University – NOBCChE Career Lecture – February 2022.
50. Baylor University – Departmental Seminar, February 2022.
49. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI – Departmental Seminar, January 2022.
48. Boston College – Inorganic Seminar, November 2021.
47. New York University – Inorganic Seminar, November 2021.
46. Southwestern Regional Meeting of the ACS, Austin, TX (Invited Speaker), October 2021
45. Rutgers University – Departmental Seminar, October 2021.
44. Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Career Lecture, November 2021.
43. ChemCatChem and Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. Main-Group Catalysis Symposium, September 2021.
42. Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Departmental Seminar, September 2021.
41. Case Western Reserve University – Departmental Seminar, September 2021
40. IUPAC-CCCE 2021 (Invited Speaker – Main-Group Session), August 2021.
39. Pohang University of Science and Technology (South Korea) – Departmental Seminar, May 2021.
38. University of Strathclyde, Glasgow (Scotland) – Departmental Seminar, April 2021.
37. Tel Aviv University (Israel) – Departmental Seminar, April 2021.
36. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI – Departmental Seminar, April 2021.
35. University of Bath (United Kingdom) – Departmental Seminar, April 2021.
34. University of Texas, San Antonio, TX – Departmental Seminar, April 2021.
33. Texas State University, San Marcos, TX – Departmental Seminar, March 2021.
32. Indiana University, Bloomington, IN – Inorganic Seminar, March 2021.
31. Amherst University, Amherst, MA – Departmental Seminar, February 2021.
30. York University (Ontario, Canada) – Departmental Seminar, February 2021.
29. Western University (Ontario, Canada) – Departmental Seminar, February 2021.
28. Mississippi State University, Starkville, MS – Departmental Seminar, January 2021.
27. University of California, San Diego, CA – Inorganic Seminar, January 2021.
26. Clemson University, Clemson, SC – Departmental Seminar, December 2020.
25. North Carolina State University – Departmental Seminar, Raleigh, NC, October 2020.
24. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH – Departmental Seminar, September 2020.
23. University of Virginia Chemical Engineering Departmental Seminar, September 2020.
22. ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Webinar - Periodic Table Talks, September 2020.
21. Royal Society of Chemistry Main-Group Seminar, April 2020.
20. Global Inorganic Discussion Seminar, April 2020.
19. Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN – Departmental Seminar, January 2020.
18. Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD – Departmental Seminar, December 2019.
17. Texas A&M University, College Station, TX – Inorganic Seminar, November 2019.
16. University of Houston, Houston, TX – Inorganic Seminar, November 2019.
15. Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia – Departmental Seminar, October 2019.
14. Ford Foundation Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, October 2019.
13. University of Tennessee, Chattanooga, Chattanooga TN – Department Seminar, October 2019.
12. ACS National Meeting San Diego, FL, United States August 2019.
11. International Conference on Heteroatom Chemistry, Prague, Czech Republic, June 2019.
10. ACS National Meeting Orlando, FL, United States April 2019.
9. Juniata College, Huntington, PA, United States, September 2018.
8. Ford Foundation, Washington, DC, United States, April, 2018.
7. Claflin University, Orangeburg, SC, United States, April, 2018.