Postdoctoral researcher at Purdue University
Ranajit is from West Bengal, India, where he obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry at Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira (under Calcutta University), Belur Math (2012). In 2014, he earned his Master's degree in Chemistry from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, Uttarpradesh, India. Then, in 2015, he moved to Groningen, Netherlands as a graduate researcher in Prof. Dr. Edwin Otten’s group at the University of Groningen, Netherlands where he studied extensive synthesis and characterization of redox-active ligand frameworks and molecular metal complexes with detailed analysis of electrochemical properties aiming towards development of catalysts with abundant and cheap main group elements based complexes. In 2019, he obtained his Doctorate degree in Chemistry at the University of Groningen under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Edwin Otten. Then, from January, 2020, he joined our group as a postdoctoral research associate. Here, his research focuses on chemical synthesis and the development of novel methods to incorporate p-block elements into conjugated small molecules and polymers for optoelectronic applications (e.g., polyaromatic hydrocarbons, heterocycles, metallacycles).
- Ranajit Mondol and Edwin Otten, “Structure and bonding in reduced boron and aluminium complexes with formazanate ligands” Dalton Trans., 2019, 48, 13981-13988 (DOI: 10.1039/C9DT02831E).
- Ranajit Mondol and Edwin Otten, “Aluminium Complexes with Redox-Active Formazanate Ligand: Synthesis, Characterization, and Reduction Chemistry” Inorg. Chem., 2019, 58(9), 6344-6355 (DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b00553).
- Ranajit Mondol and Edwin Otten, “Reactivity of Two-Electron-Reduced Boron Formazanate Compounds with Electrophiles: Facile N−H/N−C Bond Homolysis Due to the Formation of Stable Ligand Radicals” Inorg. Chem., 2018, 57 (16), 9720–9727 (DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.8b00079).
- Ranajit Mondol, Daan A. Snoeken, Mu-Chieh Chang and Edwin Otten, “Stable, crystalline boron complexes with mono-, di- and trianionic formazanate ligands” Chem. Commun., 2017, 53, 513-516 (DOI: 10.1039/c6cc08166e).
- Indranil Dutta, Subhabrata De, Sudhir Yadav, Ranajit Mondol, Jitendra K. Bera, “Aerobic oxidative coupling of alcohols and amines towards imine formation by a dicopper(I,I) catalyst” J. Organomet. Chem., 2017, 849-850, 117-124 (DOI: 10.1016/j.jorganchem.2017.05.009).
- Apoorva Upadhyay, Chinmoy Das, Shefali Vaidya, Saurabh Kumar Singh, Tulika Gupta, Ranajit Mondol, Stuart K Langley, Keith S Murray, Gopalan Rajaraman, and Maheswaran Shanmugam, “Role of the Diamagnetic Zinc(II) Ion in Determining the Electronic Structure of Lanthanide Single-Ion Magnets” Chem. Eur. J., 2017, 23, 4903-4916 (DOI: 10.1002/chem.201700399).
- Apoorva Upadhyay, Saurabh Kumar Singh, Chinmoy Das, Ranajit Mondol, Stuart K. Langley, Keith S. Murray, Gopalan Rajaraman, and Maheswaran Shanmugam, “Enhancing the effective energy barrier of a Dy(III) SMM using a bridged diamagnetic Zn(II) ion” Chem. Commun., 2014, 50, 8838-8841 (DOI: 10.1039/c4cc02094d).
Awards & Honors
- Awarded Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) fellowship for consecutive five years (2009-2014).
- Qualified IIT-JAM for M.Sc Entrance in June 2012.
- Qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) in December, 2013 conducted by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India, New Delhi, India.
- Qualified the All India Level Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) in Chemistry in 2014.